Apply early as this job may be filled at any time.
The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe and "green" rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns participate in group events and projects, experiencing first-hand what it is like to be a full-time BNSF employee. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel!
The program begins with an extensive corporate orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. During the training period, interns receive a company overview and interact with company leaders. Following orientation, interns receive on-the-job training according to their assigned group. The summer will be spent in Fort Worth or in a field location that can be anywhere on BNSF's system. The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
Relocation assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
Work Location: Topeka, KS
Start Date: 06/02/2021
End Date: 08/10/2021
Salary Range: $4,281.25 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Opportunities exist to gain exposure in the following areas:
*Internet of Things (IoT)
*Mobile & Web Development
Interns will have the opportunity to participate in one of the following work groups:
- Application Development is an exciting area of Technology Services. Diverse skillsets, technologies and programming languages converge to provide solutions to support our dynamic railroad.
- With over 400 applications within the BNSF portfolio, interns have the opportunity to increase their business knowledge, technical skills, and contribute to one of the cornerstones of our economy. We seek talent for a variety of different programming languages and tools.
Some programming languages and tools we use:
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
- Primarily an office environment, with some field activities.
- Normal office hours, Monday through Friday, with weekend or evening work as required.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above for engineering majors OR cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for non-engineering majors.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor's or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship. Pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer or Software Engineering, Management/Business Information Systems OR any other Technical/Engineering related degree.
- Less than three (3) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Ability to relocate to Topeka, KS for the summer.
- General understanding required of Information Systems, including knowledge of application development, database administration, business intelligence, personal computers, and/or local area networks.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Strong drive for results as well as superior communications and teamwork skills to be able to gather information to identify and resolve problems.
- Graduation date prior to September 1, 2022.
- Ability in any of the following is preferred: application development, project management, mobile device development methodologies, database design, modeling, network planning and engineering and voice/video systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages and tools such as Java, C/C++, .Net(C#), ABAP, HTML5 and/or COBOL.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Relocation Stipend
- Summer Lodging Stipend
- Potential for offer of fulltime position
- Paid Internship
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at .
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Technology Services | Topeka, KS | 66612