At VIATRIS, we see healthcare not as it is but as it should be. We act courageously and are uniquely positioned to be a source of stability in a world of evolving healthcare needs.
Viatris empowers people worldwide to live healthier at every stage of life.
We do so via:
Access - Providing high quality trusted medicines regardless of geography or circumstance;
Leadership - Advancing sustainable operations and innovative solutions to improve patient health; and
Partnership - Leveraging our collective expertise to connect people to products and services.
Every day, we rise to the challenge to make a difference and here's how the Senior Director, Corporate Communications and Media Relations role will make an impact:
The Senior Director of Corporate Communications and Media Relations is a strategic communications professional with a passion for corporate outreach for media, influencers, and key stakeholders focusing on trends, corporate narrative, CSR, policy, legal, financial communications and storytelling focused on enhancing and building Viatris' reputation with external stakeholders. This person will act as one of the company's primary media spokespeople and have strong relationships with top-tier healthcare and business media and a growing understanding of influencers, an excellent understanding of the broad healthcare landscape globally, and will be proficient in analyzing data and identifying trends and making communications strategy recommendations that help promote the corporate narrative and build a positive company reputation. This person will play a role is setting the strategy and vision for external communications at Viatris, defining the company's thought leadership strategy, with a primary focus on executive leaders, and will play a role in defining the company's approach to issues/crisis management.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Develop media strategy for key enterprise events and milestones, and act as an advisor to other teams across Corporate Affairs on how to engage media grow relationships with Tier 1 print, broadcast and online media (US and globally) to both proactively and opportunistically place coverage about Viatris and enhance our reputation.
- Manage and respond to incoming media requests as needed. Serve as one of the company's primary media spokespeople.
- Closely monitor external trends to advise on where and how Viatris should have a voice and to inform media strategy development. Leverage expert and to-the-minute understanding of the media landscape in achieving our Corporate Affairs / Viatris business goals.
- Define and execute a thought leadership platform for Viatris to enhance Viatris reputation across channels such as owned and earned media, speaking engagements & industry awards. Define standards and process for thought leadership, media relations and issues management across the Corporate Affairs.
- Help set the strategy and vision for external communications for Viatris with the Head of Global Corporate, Portfolio and Operations Communications and Head of Global Communications and Corporate Brand.
- Oversee external messaging, content and media strategy around financial announcements (e.g. earnings, SEC filings, Investor Day) and major Business Development transactions in close collaboration with Investor Relations and other business partners. Partner with Chief Financial Officer and Investor Relations to prepare messaging for investor calls.
- Partner closely with Corporate Brand and Digital Strategy team members on corporate narrative development and storytelling on our digital and social channels. Ensure corporate message consistency across corporate materials and channels.
- Partner closely with Global Legal and regional Communications leads to develop communications (statements, releases, Q&A, etc.) around legal milestones.
- Develop and execute a communications strategy to tell a compelling story of our CSR/ESG work and support key external disclosures in these areas.
- Pursue traditional/earned media opportunities in political/policy trade outlets in support of company's public policy goals/priorities positioning Viatris as a health policy thought leader.
- Plan and manage issues and crisis response. Run creation of communications plans, escalation procedures and playbooks on priority issues for the company. In the event of an active issue, manage day-to-day media communications and team coordination with expert partnership from Head of Global Corporate, Portfolio and Operations communications and in alignment with Head of Global Communications and Corporate Brand on response strategy.
- Partner with Head of Global Corporate, Portfolio and Operations communications and Head of Global Communications and Corporate Brand to prepare members of the executive team for top tier media engagement. Serve as a collaborative partner to other communications professionals globally.
- Oversee media monitoring and work with other members of the Global Communications and Corporate Brand team to define the metrics to evaluate Viatris brand, reputation, impact and relevance across priority audiences. Continuously leverage analytics to evaluate opportunities and inform future media & thought leadership strategy.
- Develop and foster collaborative relationships across the business to stay informed of new initiatives and projects to enable optimal content creation and delivery of key messages.
- Maintain a rich understanding of industry corporate communications and media relations best practices and emerging trends.
- Lead the communications team in thinking proactively and strategically, leveraging external benchmarking and best practices to build a best-in-class Global Communications and Corporate Brand organization with the resources we have.
- Promote and support Viatris' commitment to high standards of corporate compliance, quality, safety and ethics, and live and model Viatris' core values.
- Leverage analytics to generate insight and identify areas of opportunity.
- Provide the intellectual leadership, perspective and experience to encourage creative thinking around communications issues, continuous learning for all employees and energy to continue to grow and expand the business globally.
- Oversee administration and use of department budget.