This position will report to the Meal Preparation business that is now known as Winland Foods, Inc owned by Investindustrial. Investindustrial is a leading investment and advisory group with over $11 billion of raised fund capital, which provides commercial solutions and capital to high-quality mid-market companies internationally. Investindustrial has a strong track record of investing in the food and beverage sector, including private label, and has developed longstanding relationships in the food and beverage community.
Employee Type:Full time
Location:IL TBMP Oak Brook
Job Type:Research and Development
Job Posting Title:Director, Research and Development - Value Engineering
Responsible for setting the strategy and leading the technical activity required for creating and launching Value Engineering projects (ingredients, recipes, and packaging) across our meals & condiments portfolio of products. This position carries with it the responsibility to mentor team members and grow their capabilities for contributing to the organization. In addition, this role requires building strong cross functional partnerships with Procurement, Operations, Quality, Finance, and the Business Leads in order to drive the Value Engineering agenda, while meeting the business goals of the overall company.
- Lead and motivate R&D staff in the technical aspects of product & package development through the investigation, planning, execution, evaluating and reporting on Value Engineering projects.
- Responsible for the team's completion of high priority projects and critical non-project work. Advise, direct, coach, inspire and review progress to create a cohesive team environment
- Work across all functional areas to accomplish business goals
- Critical member of the project pipeline review and prioritization system
- Responsible for keeping a strategic view of the marketplace and partnering to build Category Value Engineering strategies and plans to execute the pipeline.
- Create an innovative environment by collaborating with external and internal partners and by managing the group with passion, intellectual curiosity, integrity and trust
- Evaluate and make recommendations concerning the application of new materials, formulations, process improvements or technologies to drive cost savings
- Participate in Senior Leadership meetings and provide ideas and expertise on setting goals/direction for the organization
- Develop and create high performance organizations aligned with strategic direction of the business
- Direct training, education and career development programs to fill department needs and company-wide technical needs for the present and provide a succession plan to accommodate future staffing needs
- Lead through planning and objective setting versus day to day oversight of functional group responsibilities
- Assist with budget planning and be fiscally responsible for delivering on that plan
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list of all tasks. Additional tasks and duties may be assigned from time to time as necessitated by business needs.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Ten years of progressive experience across leadership roles in product development, packaging development and food safety in the packaged goods manufacturing industry, preferably in a strategic setting in a mid to large size organization
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively work, influence, problem solve and communicate at all levels of the organization
- Knowledge of Food Science/Food Chemistry and Nutrition; knowledge of ingredient functionality/interactions; knowledge of packaging materials and development; ability to apply this knowledge in the development, commercialization and manufacturing process to support business goals
- Proven track record in people management (developing, coaching, mentoring, directing) with demonstrative teambuilding and collaboration skills
- Strong business acumen with an ability to mesh business needs with technical competencies
- Demonstrated ability to be well-balanced between the strategic view of the work and execution aspect of the job
- Must have the ability to adapt to change with proven ability to accelerate the performance of R&D groups
- Ability to develop both longer range strategic plans that address key business and technical needs and balance with shorter term operational plans
Education: Bachelor's Degree Required - Type: Food Science/Engineering or related field
Master's Degree Preferred -- Type: MBA, Food Science/Engineering or related field
Travel (other than driving) Up to 25% with no destination restriction
Meal Prep Use Only: #mealprep